Two-way radios provide an excellent source of communication for retail managers, event staff, job sites, emergency responders, and more. However, they need to be taken care of and used with care.
Radio maintenance is a key component of owning and operating a two-way radio. Like many digital devices, they require fresh batters, dry storage and proper day-to-day usage. In this article, Metro Mobile has chosen 4 tips to help maintain your two-way radio so that it continues to function and operate properly.
1. Fresh Batteries
The batteries in your radio are a vital component and while this may seem obvious, people usually put in batteries and never open it up again until they fail. The team at Metro Mobile highly encourages users to choose premium quality batteries and change them regularly to maintain optimum performance.
Regularly checking and changing your batteries should become routine to avoid unexpected battery failure, especially when you are using your radio in remote locations. In addition, older batteries are more likely to leak and erode, possibly damaging your radio.
2. Dry Storage
When you are not using your two-way radio, store it in a clean, dry space where it won’t get damaged. We suggest storing them in a cabinet.
3. Day-to-Day Use
When using your radio day-to-day there are some dos and don’ts. Although we carry many robust radios that can take a beating, radios should always be handled with care when possible. Here are a few tips provided by Hytera Radios, on how to use your radio.
- Avoid grabbing your radio by its antenna as this can have an impact on the longevity of the radio signal and transmission quality.
- Only use accessories that are designed specifically for the brand and model of your radio as incompatible accessories may cause damage.
- Do not expose your radio to extreme hot or cold conditions or solvents, unless absolutely necessary or they are specifically designed to do so.
- Unless waterproof, try and keep your radio dry and away from moisture.
- If your digital two-way radio is always on your person, Metro Mobile suggests using a carrying case or holster to prevent it from being damaged.
4. Review the owner’s manual or talk to Metro Mobile
Your two-way radio owner’s manual will have plenty of useful information and advice on how to properly take care of your device. If you still have questions, you can talk to a team member at Metro Mobile where we would be happy to answer any questions.
At Metro Mobile, we offer a multitude of radios, applicable for different industries. While some radios will require more care and be cleaned regularly to prevent dust and debris, we also carry radios that are rugged and durable for the job. Whether that’s a construction site or on the logging road, we have weather-proof radios designed to hold up even in the harshest of conditions.
As you can see, two-way radios are used across multiple industries. If you are looking for radio rentals, radio repairs, or want to purchase radios for your business, you can contact a team member at Metro Mobile Radio. If you want to find an industry-specific radio, you can talk to one of our experts and we can find the best two-way radio for you.